Friday, January 16, 2009

No- No- No more work this week! [Friday Jams]


It's been a minute since I posted an official Friday Jams, so I'm gonna try to blow this one out and give you some stuff to bounce around to this weekend (and you will need to remain bouncing, as it is brick city miserable my teeth hurt kinda cold out there).

[T-minus one month to liftoff] I've had my eye on N.A.S.A. since before I really knew their deal, but I really started paying attention when I saw David Byrne's name next to Chuck D's and listened to 'Money.' Turns out the duo of DJ Zegon and Squeak E. Clean (the brother of Spike Jonze) have a shitload of most awesome friends, and when I see a list of collaborations like this one, I get excited. Apparently their agenda is to bring together as much diversity and musical collaboration as possible, and from the looks of things they've done a great job. A few tracks have leaked here and there, so grab the ones you can download (with props to Pigeons and Planes), and check out the rest of the track list for the debut album, The Spirit of Apollo, out February 27.

01. Intro
02. The People Tree (feat. David Byrne, Chali 2na, Gift of Gab, & Z-Trip)
03. Money feat. David Byrne, Chuck D, Ras Congo, Seu Jorge & Z-Trip
04. NASA Music (feat. Method Man, E-40, & DJ Swamp)
05. Way Down (feat. RZA, Barbie Hatch, & John Frusciante)
06. Hip Hop (feat. KRS-One, Fatlip, & Slim Kid Tre)
07. Four Rooms, Earth View
08. Strange Enough (feat. Karen O, Ol’ Dirty Bastard, & Fatlip)
09. Spacious Thoughts feat. Tom Waits & Kool Keith
10. Gifted (feat. Kanye West, Santogold, & Lykke Li)
11. A Volta (feat. Sizzla, Amanda Blank, & Lovefoxxx)
12. There’s a Party (feat. George Clinton & Chali 2na)
13. Whachadoin? feat. Spank Rock,M.I.A., Santogold & Nick Zinner
14. O Pato (feat. Kool Kojak & DJ Babão)
15. Samba Soul (feat. Del Tha Funkee Homosapien & DJ Qbert)
16. The Mayor (feat. The Cool Kids, Ghostface Killah, DJ AM, & Scarface)
17. N.A.S.A. Anthem

[I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg] Gave you the heads up on the Paul's Boutique reissue, so in honor of my fellow tribesman here's one of my favorite tracks from that album. Love all the samples (Dust Brothers on production) and brings memories of 'Egg Raid on Mojo,' played at the aforementioned concert. Unrelated to any of that is this site which will consume plenty of your precious free time if you're a Beastie aficionado like myself. Beastie Boys - Egg Man

[If it ain't broke] Everyone is jumping on tracks with Santogold, and Three Six Mafia and Project Pat have proven, at least to me, that this isn't necessarily a bad thing. Santogold - Shove It (Mad Decent Remix) ft. Three 6 Mafia & Project Pat

[Don't say I never gave props to Cleveland] Kid Cudi's whole half-singing half-rapping thing threw me for a minute, but I've listened to more of his stuff and I'm excited to see what he does in '09. Could be a real big year for this dude, but like Asher says, "What do I know? I'm just a white kid." Kid Cudi - Embrace the Martian ft. Crookers

[This speech is my recital] Run D.M.C. were elected to an extremely irrelevant institution (hey, I can only be nice to Cleveland once in a given post), so I give to you perhaps my all-time favorite jam of theirs. Run D.M.C. - It's Tricky 

[What kind of a grown man calls himself "Puffy?"] Finally, something I just saw (thanks to Nah Right). I was jammin to Ready to Die and Life After Death all day yesterday in celebration of Notorious Eve. DJ Mike Nice presents a mixtape celebrating Brooklyn to get you more in the mood for the Biggie biopic, which I've been excited about for a while now. It's out today, so go see it. DJ Mike Nice - Brooklyn Bullshit (Mixtape)

No comments: