Monday, February 9, 2009

Blink-182 are back! [the one where the nerd goes "I HAVE NO LEGS!"]

I popped in on the Grammys a couple of times last night, mostly to A) check out Dave Grohl's positively giddy drumming with Sir Paul on "I Saw Her Standing There." If you didn't like seeing Grohl, a legitimate rock lord who has collaborated with the biggest of big names, reduced to giggling schoolgirl joy while playing alongside a walking rock god, then I'm not quite sure how to say this, but I don't think we can be friends. Free whoppers for everybody! Sorry. Wandered off a little bit there. Seriously though, "I Saw Her Standing There" can still rock a room. Like you weren't watching at home singing, "WOOOOOOOO." Meanwhile, somewhere, Ringo Starr turned to whoever he was watching with and desperately tried to convince them, "I used to be in this band, I swear! Who the bloody hell is that bloke? I'm Ringo! I'm in the band! I'M IN THE BAND!!!"

...and B) to see if M.I.A. was going to go ahead and have that natural childbirth right there on stage mid-"Paper Planes." She may have gotten shafted on the awards, but that was definitely the greatest live performance I've ever seen by a nine-months pregnant woman in a see-through dalmatian bikini, an honor which as you and I and Homer Simpson all know is more valuable than any Grammy. You feelin that, Weezy? Word? Me too - the performance that is. The black and white tripped me up for a minute, but it was a cool presentation and was delivered well. Weezy was a big winner on the night overall; he got 4 of these things including best Rap Album and Song, but he also paid homage to New Orleans alongside Allen Toussaint, Terence Blanchard and the Dirty Dozen Brass Band. This performance was a surprise highlight for me. Dirty Dozen was a college favorite and I'm already lining up the convoy to Tennessee to see Toussaint in June. Aaaand there's your first Bonnaroo mention.

I honestly didn't see a single award handed out amidst all the performances, so I wasn't wa
tching live during what was definitely the biggest moment of the show if you were a teenager at any point in the mid to late 90s or if you vehemently believe that "Can't Hardly Wait" is a brilliant and sadly under-appreciated movie of your generation. Blink-182, together on stage for the first time since 2005 to present the Best Rock Album award to Coldplay (really? was nobody else nominated?), officially announced their reunion. Read their official statement, via Rolling Stone Rock and Roll Daily, if you don't believe me:
“Hi. We’re blink-182. This past week there’ve been a lot of questions about the current status of the band, and we wanted you to hear it straight from us. To put it simply, We’re back. We mean, really back. Picking up where we left off and then some. In the studio writing and recording a new album. Preparing to tour the world yet again. Friendships reformed. 17 years deep in our legacy.”

The band leaves things with the words “Summer 2009. Thanks and get ready…”

It's already being rumored that "Summer 2009" means they're opening for Green Day, who - would you look at that? - have an album coming out in May. Well isn't that just convenient? It's safe to say that Blink/Green Day Tour '09 would make my summer concert schedule that much more epic. I had a quality high school flashback fairly recently, so while I'd probably be very excited to see a reunited Blink, friends of this airspace know that I'd about flip a shit at a Green Day concert. That's beyond a high school flashback, that's more like Pine Brook Elementary. I've only dreamed of seeing Green Day in concert since Dookie was my first CD in 1994. Of course, I shudder to think of attempting to get tickets,as TicketBastard and LineNation merge into a scourge of the hippies ticketopoly. But if Blink-182 really wants to go all out and conquer the world this summer, there's plenty of room on our convoy. What, you didn't think this was really a Grammys post? It could happen! I'll kick everyone's ass in this room!



Blink-182 make reunion official on Grammy stage
[Rolling Stone]

No comments: